Monday, January 08, 2007

Hooray, hooray, hooray!

We met with the geneticist today and it was all good news! He didn't feel there was anything to worry about genetically and didn't even order any blood tests (the main thing I was dreading after our last experience). He actually said that Annie does NOT have Pierre-Robin because, strictly speaking, she would have to have three characteristics -- not just the small jaw but also a cleft palate and another thing with her tongue (long medical word I can't remember). That's even more good news! His opinion is that Annie's small jaw is a result of restricted growth in-utero. (Warning: overshare of information ... but I have a uterine anomaly that can restrict growth. That's why I have multiple ultrasounds during pregnancy. Dr. Moeschler tied the growth restriction to that anomaly as a probable cause.) He feels that with the restriction removed (i.e. being born), her jaw will grow normally and "catch up" with her upper jaw over time. He said he can't say that with 100% certainty, but it's his opinion.

We went from the geneticist's office to Annie's regular two month check-up. Again, all good news. She is a whopping 9 pounds, 2 ounces now (finally surpassing her big sister's BIRTH weight) and made it to the 10th percentile. She is -- hooray, hooray, hooray -- doing great! She is smiling up a storm -- huge, gummy smiles -- and cooing back and forth with me all the time in little mommy/baby conversations. She has great head control and seems very strong for her advanced age of two months. (Ha ha.) Her eyes are as blue as Jamie's were at this point so it really looks like brown-eyed Scott and I will have two blue eyed girls, believe it or not. She still is not able to suck, but we have gotten into a routine with everything and we're hanging in there. Ninety to ninety-five percent of her nutrition is still breastmilk, so I'm happy with that.

Unfortunately, she's being uncharacteristically fussy right now so I'm not able to get some new pics uploaded. I want to get this post up right away, so I'll have to add the pics later. I keep trying to catch her smiling, but so far no luck ...!

One last hurdle to come -- her second echo is scheduled for Feb. 9th, one month from tomorrow.

2 comments:

Moira said...

YAY!!!! I am so happy things went well yesterday!!!

Anonymous said...

Glory halelua!! Our tenacious little Annie proved all the experts wrong. Way to go Annie. Love to all, Mam