Thursday, March 29, 2007

Cardiology Appointment

We had an appointment with Dr. Johnson (Annie's cardiologist here in NH) today just to check in. Annie's doing well! He is pleased with her weight gain (two pounds since he saw her just over four weeks ago) and encouraged that Dr. Smoot may have seen some improvement in Annie's heart function on the last echo in Boston. As he said, she has the rest of her life for it to continue improving. We just need her to be going in the direction of improvement -- not the other direction -- and it seems like maybe, hopefully that might be happening. He said that it is very encouraging to see any improvement at all in just a matter of weeks, and it has only been about seven weeks since the diagnosis (even though it seems like much, much longer).

So, all positive news today. No blood draws, and just a slight change in one of her doses to keep up with her weight. It's hard not to get our hopes up, but we have been here before and that history weights my happiness with caution. Still, it's hard not to think ... oh please, oh please, oh please ....

Another echo next Friday with Dr. Smoot in Boston. (She is in Japan right now, so I don't expect to hear anything about the biopsy results before our appointment.) Have I mentioned we're going on vacation after that?!? And we just found out yesterday that we'll really have a chance to have some vacation time -- Mom is going to fly down and meet us to help with Annie. THANK YOU, MOM! I feel like I actually can look forward to this 'vacation' now!! We are definitely a family ready for some down time and some warm weather (in the 20s here tonight -- ugh).

Off to get an uncharacteristically fussy Annie to sleep. She's doing a very normal baby thing right now -- teething!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

So glad to hear good news. It's always nice to hear. Have a great vacation too, you all need this! Maybe when you get back, it will be warm here too, bring the heat home with you.

Anonymous said...

Remember...pool...drink..ahhhhh
Have a great time. Vicki

Anonymous said...

I'm glad to hear things are going well. If I don't see you before, have a great vacation. You kids deserve it! Hopefully girlz will be able to get together when you return. I haven't read the book but I still want to hang out:)
Steph

Anonymous said...

Once again it's soooooo wonderful to read good news! And yes, it does seem longer since the actual diagnosis, but very, very encouraging that she has shown so much improvement and stability in a mere seven weeks! We will miss you on vacay but hope that you have loads of fun (and a poolside drink for me!!).
hugs,
Nikki

Anonymous said...

So happy to read the blog today and find some good news. Annie had such a happy glow to her when I saw her at Hannah's birthday party on Saturday. Hope you have a wonderful vacation-your family definitely deserves some time to laugh and enjoy each other.
Daria