Monday, March 12, 2007

Frustrating Morning!! No News Yet


We had quite a morning. Apparently, scheduling glitches happen at Children's, too. After going down this morning around 7:20, we found out at 8:30 that the orthopedic surgeon had been scheduled for this afternoon, NOT this morning. So we sat and sat (and paced and paced), trying to keep Annie asleep and not thinking about her empty belly. (She really did great, snoozing most of the time and only fussing when they flushed her IV and when she couldn't get her fist with the IV in her mouth.) Dr. Smoot finally came up at 9:40 and made the decision to go ahead with Annie's cath and just skip the skeletal muscle biopsy. That was what we wanted at that point because I was not willing to fast Annie for four hours during the day and go through the whole process again. Dr. Smoot is comfortable with skipping the skeletal muscle biopsy at this point because of all of the metabolic testing that has been done already.

They'll be redoing her IV in the cath lab (under some sedation because I was a mother on the edge at that point and ready to pull the plug on the whole thing over a non-functioning IV) and giving her the B12 shot as well. Dr. Smoot said to expect an hour and a half for the procedure, start to finish. So here we sit, waiting. The room seems awfully empty without Annie in it, even if she is only a little bug.

Somehow, I missed the message that Dr. Smoot doesn't do the cath! It's Dr. Lock, Chief of Cardiology here, and another cardiologist performing the cath alone -- Dr. Smoot isn't in there at all. We hadn't met Dr. Lock, which I thought was strange. It would be one thing if it were me and I would then meet the doctor performing the procedure when I went back to the lab or OR or whatever ... but to hand over Annie and not meet the doctor who was about to work on her seemed strange to me. The nurses called Dr. Lock's office and had him come up and meet us before he went back to work on Annie, which was great. She may be their patient, but she's MY baby. I want to look at the person who is about to work on her so invasively!

More as soon as we know anything or get back up to our room after recovery.
P.S. Not a great photo, but this was Annie this morning as we tried to keep her entertained before heading down to the cath lab.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

sorry to hear about your frustrations this morning. How unfair to have to wait around even longer. I hope the time goes by as quick as possible. Hang in there.
Nikki