Monday, March 12, 2007

NEWS FLASH

We just spoke with both Dr. Harris and Dr. Smoot. My mind is scrambled with all of the genetics-acids-short-chain-carbon-breakdown-etc. discussion with Dr. Harris, but the bottom line is that we have indeed knocked out some of the big scary metabolic issues -- and that's a plus for sure! Also, he doesn't think the B12 is going to come back deficient based upon other indicators and they held off on giving Annie a B12 shot while she was sedated. He was glad to hear they were able to get the cardiac biopsies and is interested in what tests they are running specifically -- something to duke out with Dr. Smoot.

The big news for today is about the echo they did after Annie's cath. Dr. Smoot said that the dilation is no larger and possibly even lessened. Her heart looked a bit stronger!! Although Dr. Smoot is cautious in what she is telling us and we need to be cautious in getting our hopes up, we are so happy to hear something positive. (And it feels so much like last summer as we went from one successive echo to the next. It would be so wonderful if this followed in that path!) After just writing about getting the transplant book, Dr. Smoot told us to "just file away the transplant information for now." YAHOO!!!!!!!!! That is a great pick-me-up after the downer of having it handed to us in the first place.

Annie is sleeping, sleeping, sleeping so we are definitely here for tonight as well. But my heart is a bit lighter knowing that there may be some improvement in our girl's heart. She's a fighter, this one. I'm anxious to see what life has in store for her ... or should I say what SHE has in store for LIFE! She sure has started out with a bang. Photos are when we first saw her after the cath and then a bit later, still in the recovery area. Despite all of the tape and stuff for her IV as well as a pulse ox wrap, she managed to get the tip of her thumb out and in her mouth. Too cute. (Notice she has a bit of her Bahama Mama pose going, too!)

Keep those good thoughts coming!
THANK YOU!!

5 comments:

Teresa and Shawn said...

All good news so far, and you have the first cath under your belt, as we kept getting told!

That's awesome that Annie only needed sedation and not general anesthesia - makes recovery go that much smoother. She looks so peaceful and beautiful in the second photo! I hope you get more sleep tonight and get home tomorrow to see your other precious girl.

Anonymous said...

So happy to hear positive news!!!! I'm dancing in my kitchen for you, while cooking of course. Will bring by some dinner for you and family tomorrow!
hugs,
Nikki

Anonymous said...

I hope you are sleeping. I couldn't sleep until I checked. Thanks for keeping this blog. Big kisses to that wonderful baby
Vicki

Anonymous said...

Sally from St Louis here again. We certainly were praying for you all this morning. I'm so glad to hear you've gotten some encouraging news. Sending hugs across the miles as we continue to hold you up in thoughts and prayers.
P.S. Are they putting "cute" supplements in that I.V.???

Anonymous said...

What a day you all had today! I'm so happy to hear that you've received some positive news. We've been thinking about you! Tuck that transplant book aside, and I hope that as I write this you're getting a good night's sleep. -Amy